Thursday, October 25, 2012

Another bump in the road...

Tuesday I had my check up with my current doctor to follow up from the contractions and sharp pains. He did a vaginal exam, vaginal ultrasound and a topical ultrasound to make sure my cervix was still long/closed and the baby was ok. Everything looked just fine and he gave me a prescription for meds to stop the contractions to take twice a day and said that should help and I can continue to work unless it continues despite the meds which shouldn't happen.

By the time I got home from the doctor I had constant cramping and my back started to hurt some. I also had the constant feeling of needing to go to the bathroom and have a BM. Throughout the rest of the day it just got worse and worse and by the time I went to lay down for bed I was in so much pain I cried for hours until I was finally exhausted enough to fall asleep despite the pain.

I called the doctors office yesterday morning to tell them what had been going on since I left their office and they said they needed to have the nurse call me back. An hour later, I called back again cause I hadn't heard anything and they put me through with Donna, the office manager who has been great. She spoke with the doctor and he said for me to come right in to do a UA (check for UTI) and possibly a culture depending. I went right in and did a urine sample and waited for them to test it. Once they had the nurse brought me back to a room and said the doctor would be right in to talk to me. When he came in, he asked my symptoms and what had been going on and I told him. He said that he was going to give me a prescription for an antibiotic because it may be a kidney infection. I let him know about my history with a UTI when I was pregnant with Nathan and he said ok and left the room. When he came back in, he had the prescription and told me that it showed I didn't have a UTI so he thought it could be a kidney infection since they dont always show up in urine tests. I questioned my symptoms and asked if it could be causing all of them and he said well not all but most and it could also possibly be kidney stones but for me to take the antibiotic and hopefully that will help me feel better. Yes, completely reassuring that your doctor is treating you on a "it MAY be this or it MAY be that".

I went back home and continued in the same unbearable pain for hours not even sure if what he said would even help. Once Will got home from work last night he took me to the ER to get checked out there. They also did a urine test and drew blood. Someone from labor and delivery came down to check the baby's heart beat with a doppler. It took over 5 minutes for her to find it, but once she finally did it was 160. After the urine test, they came back in and told me I absolutely have a UTI and to take the antibiotic the doctor gave me and that should clear it up. I questioned how they were so sure I had one and yet I had tested negative in the office hours before. She said she had no idea how they got that result earlier and in fact I had a pretty bad infection because it even came back "too much to count". She said I've likely had it a while for it to come back and it has probably gotten to my kidney which is why I'm having the horrible back pains. They gave me a prescription to help with the pain to take if I need it and sent me home.

At least I have a more definitive answer on what's wrong than "it may be this or that", but it doesn't make me feel any more comfortable with my current doctor's office. How could they come up with me not having a UTI just hours before? How could they not have tested before when I was in there twice for contractions and sharp pains they had no idea why I was having them. He had asked me if I had any of the symptoms of a UTI and I told him no, but told him of my history with Nathan and the only symptom I ever had then (in the 2 months ongoing I had one) was a fever and that was it. There's so much that just doesn't make sense to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment